1.5 lbs mussels (cleaned)
1/4 red onion (julienned)
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
1 tbsp chipotle purée
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tbsp ground fennel seed
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tbsp toasted cumin seeds
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Salt to taste
- At medium to high temperature, add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom of a 2 to 3 liter pot and heat, being careful not to smoke the oil.
- Add red onions and garlic. Allow to cook until tender and onions have become translucent.
- Add the cleaned mussels to the pot followed by the fennel, coriander, black pepper and cumin, allowing spices to cover the mussels.
- Next, add coconut milk, fresh tomatoes, chipotle purée and lemon juice. Salt to taste.
- Allow mussels to simmer until they have opened.
- Once mussels have opened, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
1 oz of Four Roses Bourbon
1 oz of Moroccan spiced apple shrub
2 dashes of angostura bitters
3 oz of Chambar Ale, or equivalent Belgian pale ale
Dehydrated apple chip to garnish
- Prepare in advance the Moroccan spiced apple shrub (an extremely flavorful syrup). To do this, soak apples in white wine vinegar that has been infused with sumac, star anise, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. After a three-day maceration, press the soft apples through a fine sieve, then strain with cheesecloth to produce the syrup.
- Once you have your shrub ready to go, build the cocktail in a Collins glass over large ice cubes.
- Add bourbon, spiced apple shrub and bitters.
- Stir ingredients, then top with Chambar Ale.
- Garnish with an apple chip and enjoy!
This article was originally published in Daily Secret’s World Edition: http://world.dailysecret.com/passageway-to-africa